360° Coverage : US defense budget cuts could 'hollow' military:...

6 Updates
US defense budget cuts could 'hollow' military: Pentagon
Photo Credit: CHIP SOMODEVILLA, Getty Images

US defense budget cuts could 'hollow' military: Pentagon

Feb 21 2013, 5:50am CST | by

Washington, Feb 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US military is bracing for a looming wave of across-the-board budget cuts known as the "sequestration" that Pentagon officials say would dangerously erode the United States' defences.

Washington, Feb 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US military is bracing for a looming wave of across-the-board budget cuts known as the "sequestration" that Pentagon officials say would dangerously erode...

Filed under: news

YouTube Videos

 
 
 

1 year ago

US defense budget cuts could 'hollow' military: Pentagon

Feb 21 2013, 5:50am CST | by

Washington, Feb 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US military is bracing for a looming wave of across-the-board budget cuts known as the "sequestration" that Pentagon officials say would dangerously erode the United States' defences.

Washington, Feb 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US military is bracing for a looming wave of across-the-board budget cuts known as the "sequestration" that Pentagon officials say would dangerously erode the United States' defences.

"Sequestration will put us on a path toward a hollow force and inflict serious damage on our national security," outgoing US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta wrote in a letter informing Congress Wednesday that the Pentagon will place its civilian workforce on administrative leave if the budget cuts are not averted.

The automatic sequestration cuts were established by US lawmakers in 2011 as a sort of budgetary guillotine set to fall on the entire federal government should Congress fail to implement more than $1 trillion in fiscal cuts.

But with no deal in sight as the March 1 deadline approaches, the Pentagon is staring at a possible $500 billion in cuts across the entire US Defense Department over the next decade should Congress and US President Barack Obama fail to reach a budget deal.

Lawmakers and top US military brass have been sounding the alarm in recent weeks about the dangerous impact the cuts could have on the combat-readiness of US troops and the nation's image in the eyes of friends and foes.

"The world is watching us," Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said in testimony to the US Senate's appropriations committee last week. "Our friends and our enemies are watching us ... and they need to know that we have the political will to forestall sequestration."

The heads of the four branches of the US military told the Senate Armed Services Committee last week that sequestration would result in a significant loss of military personnel, a dearth funding for training, and degraded arms and equipment.

The US army alone would see its ranks shrink by 100,000 soldiers next year due to the budget cuts, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno said in his testimony to the committee.

US Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Amos told the committee that US forces' "qualitative combat edge will be severely eroded by the impacts of sequestration, leaving America's men and women with inadequate training, degraded equipment, and reduced survivability".

Obama has used his executive power to insulate military personnel from the cuts, though Panetta informed the Defense Department's 800,000 civilian employees in a memo Wednesday that they would be furloughed should the March 1 deadline pass with no deal.

"In the event of sequestration we will do everything we can to be able to continue to perform our core mission of providing for the security of the United States, but there is no mistaking that the rigid nature of the cuts forced upon this department, and their scale, will result in a serious erosion of readiness across the force," Panetta wrote in the memo.

Defense budget expert Michael O'Hanlon of the Brookings Institution, a Washington-based policy think tank, told RIA Novosti on Wednesday that some of these officials' dire warnings are "dramatizations".

"For example, our force will not become hollow and we will not fall from superpower status and capability," O'Hanlon said, though he added that the cuts are "at best hugely disruptive and a hugely inefficient policy."

The cuts would indeed "affect readiness"-primarily in training and maintenance-but their greatest impact may not be directly linked to the battlefield, O'Hanlon said.

"I believe it will be the insidious effects-convincing many civilian employees that the government is not a reliable employer, slowing down many weapons contracts in ways that make purchases more expensive over time, wasting a year as policymakers focus on a manufactured crisis rather than real substantive issues," he said.

--IANS/RIA Novosti

rd/dg

IANS

Source: IANS

 
Update
6

2 weeks ago

Harper ‘making the right decision’ on ISIS mission: longtime New Democrat Gary Doer

Oct 7 2014 3:21pm CDT | Source: National Post

WASHINGTON – As Parliament prepared to vote on a military mission in the Middle East, one longtime former New Democrat emphatically expressed his support Tuesday for the Harper government’s position. Gary Doer was an NDP member of the Manitoba legislature for 23 years and premier for a decade, before he became Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s ambassador to Washington. When asked about the Iraq debate on Tuesday, he declined to di ...
Source: National Post   Full article at: National Post
 

 
Update
5

4 weeks ago

The 11 Most Interesting Works On The Air Force Reading List

Sep 20 2014 8:15pm CDT | Source: Business Insider

The job of an airman includes a long list of responsibilities, and commanders want to ensure that their troops develop their minds along with their combat prowess. To help guide servicemembers in their training, the Air Force's top general, the Air Force Chief of Staff, publishes a list of various works to help guide members to topics relevant to the life of an airman. The list changes yearly and contains a multitude of works ranging from military-centr ...
Source: Business Insider   Full article at: Business Insider
 

 
Update
4

2 years ago

Commentary: China And Japan - A Dangerous Standoff Over Senkaku Islands

Sep 17 2012 2:30pm CDT | Source: Free Internet Press

Intellpuke: The following commentary was written by Guardian Assistant Editor and Foreign Affairs Columnist Simon Tisdall. It was posted on the Guardian's website edition for Monday, September 17, 2012.  The latest, dangerous standoff between Japan and China, which brought violent protests across China, was sparked by Tokyo's decision to "nationalize" a chain ...
Source: Free Internet Press   Full article at: Free Internet Press
 

 
Update
3

2 years ago

Japanese Firms Close Offices In China As Islands Dispute Escalates

Sep 17 2012 2:28pm CDT | Source: Free Internet Press

Japanese companies have temporarily closed factories and offices in China after a weekend of violent protests sparked by the countries' competing claims to a group of islands in the East China Sea, as the U.S. warned of a danger of armed conflict and urged both sides to exercise restraint. The closures came after people took to the streets in more than 70 Chinese cities to protest the Japanese government's purchase last week of the Senkaku Islands ...
Source: Free Internet Press   Full article at: Free Internet Press
 

 
Update
2

2 years ago

U.S. To Install Second Early Warning Radar System In Japan

Sep 17 2012 2:25pm CDT | Source: Free Internet Press

U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, has said an agreement had been reached to install a second system aimed at protecting Japan from the threat of a missile attack from North Korea. The exact location of the radar installation has not yet been determined. It will be in the south, U.S. officials said, but not in Okinawa. Officials stressed the system would be aimed at protecting the region against the threat from North Korea and was not dire ...
Source: Free Internet Press   Full article at: Free Internet Press
 

 

Don't miss ...

 

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/8" rel="author">Luigi Lugmayr</a>
Luigi is the founding Chief Editor of I4U News and brings over 15 years experience in the technology field to the ever evolving and exciting world of gadgets. He started I4U News back in 2000 and evolved it into vibrant technology magazine.
Luigi can be contacted directly at ml@i4u.com. Luigi posts regularly on LuigiMe.com about his experience running I4U.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

UN gives Rwanda $7.2 mn for policy planning
Kigali, Oct 25 (IANS) The government of Rwanda and One UN Rwanda Friday signed 7.2 million dollars financing deal to build capacity in data generation and enhance evidence based on policy planning.
 
 
US nurse with Ebola to be discharged from hospital
Washington, Oct 24 (IANS) A US nurse infected with the Ebola virus disease while caring for a patient from Liberia in Texas will be discharged from hospital soon, the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) said Friday.
 
 
Hundreds of thousands of Ebola vaccines to be ready in 2015: WHO
Geneva, Oct 24 (IANS) Assistant Director-General of World Health Organisation (WHO) Marie-Paule Kieny Friday said hundreds of thousands of Ebola vaccines might be ready for use in the first half of 2015 to turn the tide against the deadly epidemic.
 
 
EU increases aid to fight Ebola in Africa to $1.27 bn
Brussels, Oct 24 (IANS/EFE) The European Union (EU) will increase to one billion euros ($1.27 billion) its contribution to combating the Ebola epidemic in the West African countries worst affected by the deadly virus, European Council President Herman Van Rompuy said Friday.
 
 
 

Latest from the Network

Second MERS case reported in Qatar
Doha, Oct 23 (IANS) A 43-year-old man in Qatar has tested positive for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in the second confirmed case of the deadly virus in 10 days, media reported Thursday. The patient had...
Read more on Business Balla
 
Two people die in Pakistan bomb blast
Islamabad, Oct 23 (IANS) At least two people were killed and 12 others injured in an explosion that took place in Pakistan's Balochistan province Thursday, media reported. The bomb was planted on a motorcycle, Dawn...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Trott extends contract with Warwickshire till 2017
London, Oct 23 (IANS) England batsman Jonathan Trott, whose mental issues led to his abrupt departure from last winter's Ashes tour, has confirmed his successful comeback to competitive cricket by signing a new three-...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Srikanth, Kashyap big movers in BWF rankings
Kuala Lumpur, Oct 23 (IANS) Indian men shuttlers Kidambi Srikanth and Parupalli Kashyap jumped seven places each in the latest Badminton World Federation (BWF) rankings released Thursday while Olympic bronze medallist...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Alvin Stardust dead
London, Oct 23 (IANS) English singer Alvin Stardust died after a short illness. He was 72. Stardust's manager confirmed the news about his demise Thursday, reports mirror.co.uk. He was recently diagnosed with...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Indian man reunited with family after 40 years
Dubai, Oct 23 (IANS) An Indian man, who had disappeared from his hometown in Kerala nearly 40 years ago, has been found by his family at a hospital in Dubai in the UAE, a newspaper report said. Now in his 60s, Abdulla...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Srikanth, Kashyap, Saina rise in world rankings
Kala Lumpur, Oct 23 (IANS) Indian men shuttlers Kidambi Srikanth and Parupalli Kashyap jumped seven places each in the latest released Badminton World Federation (BWF) rankings Thursday while Olympic bronze medallist...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Flintoff signs for Big Bash side Brisbane Heat
Brisbane, Oct 23 (IANS) Former England captain and all-rounder Andrew Flintoff, who retired from international cricket in 2009, Wednesday confirmed that he will play for Brisbane Heat in the Big Bash League (BBL) this...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
OPEC daily basket price falls again
Vienna, Oct 23 (IANS/WAM) The basket of 12 crude oils of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) closed at $81.94 a barrel Wednesday compared to $82.09 Tuesday, the OPEC Secretariat said. The new OPEC...
Read more on Business Balla
 
Lopez to sign multi-million dollar deal?
Los Angeles, Oct 23 (IANS) Singer-actress Jennifer Lopez is reportedly in the final stages of securing a multi-million dollar deal to perform in Las Vegas. The 45-year-old is being offered $350,000 per show at The...
Read more on Celebrity Balla