Jun 30 2013, 2:56am CDT | by Luigi Lugmayr
Islamabad, June 30 — Naegleria fowleri, a waterborne organism commonly known as the "brain-eating" amoeba, has led to the death of a 40-year-old man in Pakistan's Karachi port city, the third such case this year.
The amoeba is said to cause a rare but typically fatal infection called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis.
Ansari became the third person to die due to the waterborne infection in the city this year.
Ansari had recently visited a graveyard, where he washed his hands and face with water from a reservoir, the hospital official said.
Naegleria fowleri, an amoeba found in rivers, lakes, springs, drinking water networks and poorly chlorinated swimming pools, was detected in May 2012 and killed 10 people in the country till October, official records show.
Luigi is the founding Chief Editor of I4U News and brings over 15 years experience in the technology field to the ever evolving and exciting world of gadgets. He started I4U News back in 2000 and evolved it into vibrant technology magazine.
Luigi can be contacted directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Luigi posts regularly on LuigiMe.com about his experience running I4U.
blog comments powered by Disqus