Google reaches agreement with EU in antitrust case

Feb 5 2014, 12:03pm CST | by

EU accepts Google's latest concessions on search display, bringing final deal in sight

BRUSSELS (AP) — The European Union's antitrust watchdog on Wednesday accepted "far-reaching" concessions offered by Google to settle allegations it is abusing its dominant position in Internet searches, bringing the three-year-old case close to an end.

Google would significantly change the ways it displays some search results in Europe in favor of its competitors. But reaching a settlement will spare the company a longer antitrust procedure that could have resulted in fines of up to 10 percent of the company's annual revenue, or about $5 billion.

EU Antitrust Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said he's "strongly convinced" the U.S. company's proposals — its third attempt to address the competition concerns — are sufficient.

"This is an important step forward," he told reporters in Brussels.

Google's proposals will now be sent to the 18 original plaintiffs for evaluation before the Commission makes a final decision in the coming months. The plaintiffs' initial reactions were negative, but Almunia said he was confident the deal with Google will be upheld.

Under its latest proposal, Google will commit to display results from three competitors in a similar way to its own whenever it promotes its specialized search services like Google shopping, restaurant or hotel searches. It will also label more clearly search results stemming from its own services to allow users to distinguish between natural search results and those promoted by Google.

A shopping search for a gas grill, for example, would yield two boxes of the same size and position at the top of the search results page, one showing three "Google shopping results" and immediately to the left of it three results labeled "Alternatives", according to an example provided by the Commission.

At present, only Google's own results are displayed prominently above all other search results. The changes will also be valid for search results displayed on mobile devices.

"Without preventing Google from improving its own services, it provides users with real choice between competing services presented in a comparable way," Almunia said.

The results from three competing search providers would be chosen using Google's web search algorithm. In many cases, the competitors would have to pay for their placement through an auction mechanism, the Commission said.

The EU Commission last year threw out two sets of proposed concessions by Google because they were deemed insufficient.

"We will be making significant changes to the way Google operates in Europe," said Kent Walker, Google's general counsel. "The company now looks forward to resolving the matter for good," he added.

Once a settlement is reached, the concessions will be legally binding for five years across the 28-country European Union, the world's largest economy. The company, based in Mountain View, California, has a market share of about 90 percent of Internet searches in Europe, compared with around 70 percent in the U.S.

"The concessions are far-reaching and have the clear potential of restoring a level playing field with competitors, said Almunia. "No antitrust authority in the world has obtained such concessions."

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission investigated Google in a similar case last year and decided not to take action.

Google's competitors, however, were not impressed. Internet commerce lobby group Icomp said the Commission should have given Google's competitors more time to examine and test the concessions.

"Without a third party review, Almunia risks having the wool pulled over his eyes by Google," the group said.

FairSearch, a Microsoft-led group of Google's tech competitors that includes firms like Oracle, Expedia and Tripadvisor, condemned the Commission's move as being "worse than doing nothing."

Its lawyer Thomas Vinje said the proposed commitments will "lock in discrimination and raise rivals' costs instead of solving the problem of Google's anti-competitive practices."

Google has already offered several concessions to the EU. It will give content providers an opt-out from its specialized search services, without being penalized regarding its ranking in normal Google searches. Google will also remove some exclusivity requirements in agreements with publishers and make it easier to move online advertising campaigns from its services to rivals' offerings.

A separate antitrust investigation on Google's Android operating system is still ongoing, Almunia said.

___

Follow Juergen Baetz on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/jbaetz

___

Screenshots illustrating Google's concessions can be found online: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-14-87_en.htm

Source: AP Business

 
 

Don't miss ...

 

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/31" rel="author">Associated Press</a>
The Associated Press (AP) is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering, supplying a steady stream of news to its members, international subscribers and commercial customers.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Bird flu hits third poultry farm in Netherlands
The Hague, Nov 22 (IANS) An outbreak of bird flu was detected at a third Dutch poultry farm, the country's ministry of economic affairs announced Friday.
 
 
Hollande to visit Guinea next week, focus on fighting Ebola
Paris, Nov 22 (IANS) French President Francois Hollande will visit the West African countries next week, including the Ebola-hit Guinea-Conakry Nov 28 and will focus on ways to eradicate the deadly virus, media reported Friday.
 
 
Carla Bruni to lend voice to combat Ebola
Paris, Nov 22 (IANS/EFE) Former model and former first lady of France, Carla Bruni, will lend her voice to the French version of the song "Do They Know It's Christmas?" to raise funds to help combat Ebola.
 
 
Spanish health worker flown home after possible Ebola contagion
Madrid, Nov 21 (IANS) A Spanish health worker with Doctors Without Borders (MSF) arrived back in Spain Friday morning from Mali after being deemed at risk of contagion from the Ebola virus.
 
 
 

Latest from the Network

Ricki Lake's estranged husband wants prenup to be thrown out
Ricki Lake's estranged husband wants a judge to invalidate their prenuptial agreement. The talk show host, who filed for divorce from Christian Evans on October 16 after two and a half years of marriage, citing...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Jennifer Aniston says losing weight wasn't easy
Jennifer Aniston admits it wasn't easy to lose weight after filming 'Cake'. The 45-year-old actress ''just didn't work out for two-and-a-half months'' and relaxed her healthy diet to prepare for her role in the upcoming...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Chris Pine has more respect for Broadway
Chris Pine has more respect for Broadway stars after taking singing lessons for 'Into The Woods'. The 34-year-old actor, who stars in the upcoming movie adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's Tony Award-winning musical '...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Cody Simpson reunites with Gigi Hadid?
Cody Simpson and Gigi Hadid have sparked rumors they're back together. The 17-year-old singer and the 19-year-old model, who split in May after a year of dating due to their busy schedules, were reportedly ''inseparable...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
I felt the pressure of classism as child: Hilary Swank
Los Angeles, Nov 22 (IANS) Actress Hilary Swank says that she felt like an "outsider" at school because of her humble background. "I think we've all felt like an outsider at some point in our lives, and for me,...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Sharif urges Obama to take up Kashmir issue with India
Islamabad, Nov 22 (IANS) US President Barack Obama spoke to Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif over telephone Friday and urged him to take up the Kashmir issue with India. Sharif said an early resolution of the...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Bayern Munich's Schweinsteiger to be back in action
Berlin, Nov 22 (IANS) Bayern Munich midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger will recover in time for Saturday's Bundesliga home game against Hoffenheim. Bayern coach Pep Guardiola confirmed Schweinsteiger's return, but did...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Meryl Streep a great actress: Julianne Moore
Los Angeles, Nov 22 (IANS) Actress Julianne Moore says she has always admired Meryl Streep and credited the 65-year-old for inspiring her to become an actress. "I can remember when Meryl Streep was on the cover of...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Bird flu hits third poultry farm in Netherlands
The Hague, Nov 22 (IANS) An outbreak of bird flu was detected at a third Dutch poultry farm, the country's ministry of economic affairs announced Friday. The latest outbreak occurred at a poultry farm in Kamperveen...
Read more on Business Balla
 
Hollande to visit Guinea next week, focus on fighting Ebola
Paris, Nov 22 (IANS) French President Francois Hollande will visit the West African countries next week, including the Ebola-hit Guinea-Conakry Nov 28 and will focus on ways to eradicate the deadly virus, media...
Read more on Business Balla