California leaders push for smartphone kill switch

Feb 7 2014, 5:15pm CST | by

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Legislation unveiled Friday in California would require smartphones and other mobile devices to have a "kill switch" to render them inoperable if lost or stolen — a move that could be the first of its kind in the country.

State Sen. Mark Leno, San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon and other elected and law enforcement officials said the bill, if passed, would require mobile devices sold in or shipped to California to have the anti-theft devices starting next year.

Leno, a San Francisco Democrat, and Assemblywoman Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley co-authored the bill to be introduced this spring. They joined Gascon, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and other authorities who have been demanding that manufacturers create kill switches to combat surging smartphone theft across the country.

Leno called on the wireless industry to step up as smartphone robberies have surged to an all-time high in California.

"They have a choice. They can either be a part of the problem or part of the solution, especially when there is one readily available," Leno said.

Leno and Gascon said they believe the bill would be the first of its kind in the U.S. Gascon and Schneiderman have given manufacturers a June 2014 deadline to come up with solutions to curb the theft of smartphones.

The CTIA-The Wireless Association, a trade group for wireless providers, says a permanent kill switch has serious risks, including potential vulnerability to hackers who could disable mobile devices and lock out not only individuals' phones but also phones used by entities such as the Department of Defense, Homeland Security and law enforcement agencies.

The association has been working on a national stolen phone database that launched in November to remove any market for stolen smartphones.

"These 3G and 4G/LTE databases, which blacklist stolen phones and prevent them from being reactivated, are part of the solution," Michael Altschul, CTIA's senior vice president and general counsel, said in a statement. "Yet we need more international carriers and countries to participate to help remove the aftermarket abroad for these trafficked devices."

Almost one in three U.S. robberies involve phone theft, according to the Federal Communications Commission. Lost and stolen mobile devices — mostly smartphones — cost consumers more than $30 billion in 2012, the agency said in a study.

In San Francisco alone, about 60 percent of all robberies involve the theft of a mobile device, Police Chief Greg Suhr said. In nearby Oakland, such thefts amount to about 75 percent of robberies, Mayor Jean Quan added.

"We're in California, the technological hub of the world," Suhr said. "I can't imagine someone would vote against" the proposed kill switch law.

Gascon said the industry makes an estimated $7.8 billion on theft and loss insurance on mobile devices but must take action to end the victimization of its customers.

"This is one of the areas in the criminal justice system where a technological solution can make a tremendous difference, so there's absolutely no argument other than profit," Gascon said.

Last year Samsung Electronics, the world's largest mobile phone manufacturer, proposed installing a kill switch in its devices. But the company told Gascon's office the biggest U.S. carriers rejected the idea.

A Samsung statement issued Friday said the company doesn't think legislation is necessary and it would keep working with Gascon, other officials and its wireless carrier partners to stop smartphone theft.

Apple, the maker of the popular iPhone, said its "Activation Lock," as part of its iOS 7 software released in the fall, is designed to prevent thieves from turning off the Find My iPhone application, which allows owners to track their phone on a map, remotely lock the device and delete its data.

Gascon has praised Apple for its effort but reiterated on Friday that it is still too early to tell how effective it will be.

Source: AP Business

 
 

Don't miss ...

 

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/31" rel="author">Associated Press</a>
The Associated Press (AP) is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering, supplying a steady stream of news to its members, international subscribers and commercial customers.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Spanish health worker to return after possible Ebola contagion
Madrid, Nov 21 (IANS) A Spanish health worker, associated with the "Doctors without Borders", (Medecins San Frontiers) will be flown back home from Mali, Friday after a possible Ebola contagion.
 
 
US military may extend anti-Ebola mission in West Africa
Washington, Nov 21 (IANS) The US military may extend its mission to combat the spread of Ebola in West Africa beyond six months, if there was a surge of new cases.
 
 
Britain fastest growing G7 economy: OECD
London, Nov 21 (IANS) Britain has the fastest growing economy among the G7 group of developed nations, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) reported Thursday.
 
 
WhatsApp behind half of Italian divorce cases: Attorney group
Rome, Nov 20 (IANS) Almost half of the divorce cases in Italy rely at least in part on information gathered through the instant messaging service WhatsApp, according to the Italian Association of Matrimonial Lawyers.
 
 
 

Latest from the Network

Spanish health worker to return after possible Ebola contagion
Madrid, Nov 21 (IANS) A Spanish health worker, associated with the "Doctors without Borders", (Medecins San Frontiers) will be flown back home from Mali, Friday after a possible Ebola contagion. According to the...
Read more on Business Balla
 
Jack Johnson Files for Bankruptcy
Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Jack Johnson has filed for bankruptcy.According to Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch, Johnson has earned $18 million during his 10-year NHL career. However, almost all of it is...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Reeves to star in Tarsem Singh's 'The Panopticon'?
Los Angeles, Nov 21 (IANS) Actor Keanu Reeves is said to be in negotiations to star in film "The Panopticon" under the direction of Tarsem Singh. "The Matrix" actor is in talks with Good Universe to take on the lead...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
US military may extend anti-Ebola mission in West Africa
Washington, Nov 21 (IANS) The US military may extend its mission to combat the spread of Ebola in West Africa beyond six months, if there was a surge of new cases. "We have to be prepared for this to go longer than...
Read more on Business Balla
 
World must recognise threat of terrorism: Bashar al-Assad
Damascus, Nov 21 (IANS) Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has said that international acknowledgment of the threats of terrorism is one of the factors determining the future of the region. Addressing the members of the...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Protests over missing students turn violent in Mexico
Mexico City, Nov 21 (IANS/EFE) Protests over the abduction and apparent killing of 43 students in Mexico turned violent Thursday, as protesters blocked roads and hurled crude bombs at the police. The protests happened...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
When Knightley feared being fired from 'Pirates ...'
Los Angeles, Nov 21 (IANS) Actress Keira Knightley says she feared being fired from the"Pirates of the Caribbean" film. Knightley took on the role of Elizabeth Swan in the movie, and it was the film that catapulted...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Committed to defend all our allies: NATO secretary-general
Riga, Nov 21 (IANS) NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg Thursday said that the alliance is committed to protect every member country. Stoltenberg reiterated NATO's commitment following his meeting with Latvian...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Kanye West's advice to Kim Kardashian
Kanye West advised Kim Kardashian West ahead of her nude photoshoot. The 'Stronger' hitmaker - who married the 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' star earlier this year - encouraged her ahead of her photoshoot with Paper...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Angelina Jolie to give up acting
Angelina Jolie would ''absolutely'' give up acting. The award-winning actress - who recently directed World War Two film, 'Unbroken' - has admitted that she has always felt ''uncomfortable'' in front of the camera. When...
Read more on Celebrity Balla