360° Coverage : Wal-Mart Lowers Outlook As Profit And Same Store Sales Decline;...

10 Updates

Wal-Mart Lowers Outlook As Profit And Same Store Sales Decline; Could A Family Dollar Acquisition Turn Things Around?

Feb 20 2014, 9:15am CST | by

Superstore chain Wal-Mart offered a mixed bag of quarterly results Thursday morning, posting fourth quarter profit that beat the Street by a penny but fell compared to the same quarter last year,...

Filed under: news

 
 
 

23 weeks ago

Wal-Mart Lowers Outlook As Profit And Same Store Sales Decline; Could A Family Dollar Acquisition Turn Things Around?

Feb 20 2014, 9:15am CST | by

Superstore chain Wal-Mart offered a mixed bag of quarterly results Thursday morning, posting fourth quarter profit that beat the Street by a penny but fell compared to the same quarter last year, revenue that increased but same store sales that decreased, and lowering its outlook for fiscal year 2015 while raising its dividend for the same period. Meanwhile, some analysts are proposing that an acquisition of Family Dollar could help stabilize Wal-Mart’s business and provide a much needed boost.

Wal-Mart posted $129.7 billion in fourth quarter 2014 revenue, a 1.5% increase over the prior-year quarter that just about matches Street expectations. Fourth quarter net income fell 21% to $4.4 billion, resulting in earnings of $1.34 per share. Adjusted for special items — which Wal-Mart said included factors like store closures in Brazil and China and Sam’s Club restructuring — Wal-Mart’s fourth quarter earnings came in at $1.60 per share, a figure that beat the Street consensus by a penny.

On a full year basis, Wal-Mart saw $476.3 billion in total revenue, a 1.6% increase over full-year 2013 revenue. Full-year net income fell 5.7% to $16 billion, resulting in full-year earnings of $4.85 per share, a 3.2% drop compared to the $5.01 per-share profit reported for full-year fiscal 2013.

Also disappointing was Wal-Mart’s fourth quarter same store sales in the U.S., which fell 0.4%, about as much as analysts were expecting. Bill Simon, Walmart U.S. president and CEO, said that the decline is extending into the company’s first quarter results, and same store sales were down for the first two weeks of February thanks to “continued severe winter storms.” However, United Food and Commercial Workers senior capital markets economist John Marshall said that snowy weather is an easy excuse that doesn’t completely explain the sales decline.

“They’ve got 4,000 stores in the U.S. and the majority were completely unaffected by the weather,” Marshall said in a recent phone interview. “When people know a storm is coming, they buy things to help them hunker down in their homes. We often see a boost in spending” in advance of bad weather, he explained.

The same-store sales figure also includes an 0.4% boost from e-commerce sales, which Marshall noted is a newer segment growing at a higher annual rate because it has a lower baseline — which translates to even worse news for Wal-Mart brick and mortar traffic. One possible reason for this decline, Marshall said, is that there has been a “significant decline” in the company’s pricing advantage, and recent research has shown that the price premium consumers have to pay at Wal-Mart’s competitors is, in some markets, completely gone. “Wal-Mart for a long time said you may not like us, we might not always have products on our shelves, but when you find our products, they’ll be the lowest price. If that’s not the case anymore, and evidence is growing that it’s not, Wal-Mart is in a difficult position,” he said.

In a statement released Thursday morning, Wal-Mart president and CEO Doug McMillon said that same store sales improvement is a “key priority, and we’ll focus on being even stronger item and category merchants, delivering value and improving our service levels.”

McMillon said that in an effort to deliver more convenience and increase the brand’s relevance, the company is accelerating its small-store growth. To that end, the company is expanding its original plans to open 120 to 150 smaller-format stores this year, and is now planning on opening between 270 and 300 small format stores this year alone.

“Neighborhood Markets continued to deliver consistent solid comp sales growth, and customers appreciate the convenience of our small stores. They are a proven model,” U.S. division president Simon said in a statement. “We’re also pleased with how well the 20 Express stores are doing, and we’re expanding our pilot beyond the initial three markets.”

Some Wall Street analysts, however, think Wal-Mart’s small-store expansion would be better served if it acquired an existing dollar-store brand, like Family Dollar, Dollar General or Dollar Tree. A recent Credit Suisse report said that Family Dollar would be the smartest of the bunch to acquire, because of the relatively low overlap in market share.

“Our proprietary geographic analysis suggests that acquiring Family Dollar could be the most logical way for Wal-Mart to significantly jumpstart the small store effort. Compared to Dollar General and Dollar Tree, Walmart has the lowest overlap in store locations with Family Dollar,” wrote reserach analyst Michael Exstein, noting that this low market share overlap translates to the least risk in opposition from the FTC. “We think Wal-Mart could pay a 20-30% premium for Family Dollar in an immediately accretive deal,” he said.

Looking ahead to its fiscal year 2015, Wal-Mart provided more bad news for investors, saying that economic factors are weighing on its outlook. Chief among these factors are reductions in government benefits (like the SNAP food-stamp program), higher taxes and tighter credit, said Charles Holley, Wal-Mart executive vice president and CFO. “Further, we have higher group health care costs in the U.S. These concerns, combined with investments in e-commerce, will make it difficult to achieve the goal we have of growing operating income at the same or faster rate than sales,” Holley said. “In October, we forecasted a 3 to 5% net sales increase for fiscal 2015. Given these factors and the ongoing headwind from currency exchange, we expect to be toward the low end of the net sales guidance.”

In a separate release Thursday morning, Wal-Mart also announced that it is increasing its annual dividend in fiscal year 2015, up to $1.92 per share from the prior-year’s $1.88 per share. The dividend will be paid in four quarterly installments of 48 cents per share.

Following the release of the earnings results and the dividend increase, shares of Wal-Mart fell more than 2% in pre-market trading Thursday morning, opening at $73.38, lower than its Wednesday closing price of $74.85. Year-over-year, the stock has seen an 8.2% return. Potential acquisition target Family Dollar, meanwhile, also opened Thursday trading with a slight downturn, and is currently down about 0.8%. Year-over-year, the dollar store chain has posted a near-20% return.

Source: Forbes Business

 
Update
10

7 weeks ago

RM47mil KWSG contributions still unclaimed

Jun 9 2014 7:54am CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR: About RM47 million of contributions in the Teachers Provident Fund (KWSG) still remain unclaimed, the Dewan Rakyat was told to ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
9

7 weeks ago

Gold shop lost almost RM1mil

Jun 9 2014 3:50am CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

KANGAR: A gold shop owner lost almost RM1 million after after the safe on in his shop was broke ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
8

7 weeks ago

Motion to debate MAS losses in Dewan Rakyat rejected

Jun 9 2014 3:39am CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR: AN emergency motion to debate the losses incurred by Malaysia Airlines last year, amounting to RM1.2 billion was rejected by the Dewan Rak ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
7

7 weeks ago

MH370 Tragedy: Hisham: RM27.6 mil spent on 1st phase of SAR

Jun 9 2014 2:11am CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia spent some RM27.6 million in its first phase of the search operations for missing Malaysia Airline flight MH370, said Acting Transport Minister, Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hus ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
6

7 weeks ago

9.1m litres of diesel seized in a month

Jun 8 2014 1:11am CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

PUTRAJAYA: The Domestic Trade, Cooperatives, and Consumerism ministry has seized some 9.1 million litres of diesel and property worth RM58 million since mounting ‘Operasi Diesel Selatan’ in the southern states last ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
5

8 weeks ago

Girl, 9, awarded RM2.78m compensation for medical negligence

Jun 6 2014 4:56am CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR: A nine-year-old girl who suffered brain damage during her birth at a government hospital was awarded over RM2.78 million in comp ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
4

8 weeks ago

Malaysia's total trade in April up 12pc

Jun 5 2014 11:52pm CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia's total trade in April 2014 rose by 12 per cent from a year ago to RM123.86 billion due to growing trading activities, International Trade and Industry Minister Datuk Seri ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
3

8 weeks ago

Works Ministry to spend RM20m for upgrading works at 50 accident black spots

Jun 4 2014 11:35pm CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

JOHOR BARU: The Works Ministry will implement upgrading works at 50 accident prone locations in the country that have been identified this year involving an allocat ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
2

8 weeks ago

Najib launches loan scheme for Ramadan traders

Jun 4 2014 10:24pm CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

PUTRAJAYA: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak today launches RM45 million Ramadan Bazaar S ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
1

8 weeks ago

Residents bring up objection against Kidex to Suhakam

Jun 4 2014 4:49am CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

PETALING JAYA: A group of 20 Petaling Jaya residents held a meeting with the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam) over their objection against the proposed RM2.2 billion Kinrara ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 

Don't miss ...

 

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/30" rel="author">Forbes</a>
Forbes is among the most trusted resources for the world's business and investment leaders, providing them the uncompromising commentary, concise analysis, relevant tools and real-time reporting they need to succeed at work, profit from investing and have fun with the rewards of winning.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Liberia reports new Ebola cases
Lagos, Aug 1 (IANS) The Liberian government has reported new Ebola cases as of July 28.
 
 
Japanese men's life expectancy over 80 years for first time
Tokyo, Aug 1 (IANS/EFE) The life expectancy of Japanese men stood at 80.21 years in 2013, the first time that men have gone past the 80-year mark in the Asian country, according to the country's ministry of health, labour and welfare.
 
 
Methane created mysterious Siberian crater: Study
London, Aug 1 (IANS) The mysterious crater spotted in the frozen Yamal peninsula in Siberia earlier this month was probably caused by methane released as permafrost thawed, Russian researchers say.
 
 
Why some people can cope with short sleep
New York, Aug 1 (IANS) Most people require seven to nine hours of sleep to have proper daytime functioning, but some people can function normally on less than six hours of sleep per night owing to a gene mutation, says a study.
 
 
 

Latest from the Network

Anderson, Jadeja found not guilty by judicial commissioner
Southampton, Aug 1 (IANS) England fast bowler James Anderson and India all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja were found not guilty of breaching the Code of Conduct during their alleged altercation at Trent Bridge, by judicial...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Sandhu-Chinappa bow out of squash quarters
Glasgow, Aug 1 (IANS) Indian squash players Harinder Pal Sandhu and Joshana Chinappa bowed out from the mixed doubles quarter-finals when they lost 1-2 to New Zealand pair Martin Knight and Joelle King at the...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Ray Winstone: I questioned by beliefs after Noah
Ray Winstone says filming 'Noah' made him question his beliefs. The 57-year-old actor - who starred opposite Russell Crowe in the biblical epic - admits playing Tubal-cain in the movie made him think more about his own...
Read more on Movie Balla
 
Chris Pratt shocked by Hollywood success
Chris Pratt is shocked by the attention he has received in Hollywood over the past 10 years. The 35-year-old actor admits he didn't expect to be as successful as he has become but he feels grateful for everything that...
Read more on Movie Balla
 
Six killed in Algeria earthquake
Algiers, Aug 1 (IANS) An earthquake measuring 5.6 on the Richter scale that shook this Algerian capital Friday morning has killed six people and injured about 420 others, according to the country's health ministry....
Read more on Politics Balla
 
India miss out on bronze in lawn bowls
Glasgow, Aug 1 (IANS) India narrowly missed on a medal in lawn bowls losing out to Australia in the men's fours bronze medal play-off match in the 2014 Commonwealth Games at the Kelvingronve Lawn Bowls centre here...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Modi has tightly packed itinerary in Kathamandu
Kathmandu, Aug 1 (IANS) An address to Nepal's parliament -- the first by a foreign head of state after the restoration of parliamentary democracy in the Himalayan nation in 1990, and special prayers at the famed...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Daniel Radcliffe movie premiere axed
Daniel Radcliffe was unable to walk the red carpet at the Mexican premiere of 'What If' because of crowd problems. The 25-year-old actor had been due to appear at the event yesterday (31.08.14) but Mexico City's civil...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Karrueche Tran dumps Chris Brown
Karrueche Tran has ended her relationship with Chris Brown for good. The 26-year-old beauty is reportedly tired of her on/off boyfriend's ''immature'' ways and thinks he is ruining his life by putting partying ahead of...
Read more on Celebrity Balla