10 Updates
Federal Charges Likely Against PG&E Over San Bruno
Photo Credit: Forbes Business

Federal Charges Likely Against PG&E Over San Bruno

Mar 27 2014, 6:44pm CDT | by

California utility, Pacific Gas & Electric Co., announced today it expects federal officials to bring criminal charges against the company in connection with a 2010 gas-pipeline blast in San...

Filed under: news

 
 
 

16 weeks ago

Federal Charges Likely Against PG&E Over San Bruno

Mar 27 2014, 6:44pm CDT | by

California utility, Pacific Gas & Electric Co., announced today it expects federal officials to bring criminal charges against the company in connection with a 2010 gas-pipeline blast in San Bruno, California.

In an official statement, PG&E said it is negotiating with the U.S. Attorney’s office. A disclosure document was filed today with the Securities and Exchange Commission by PG&E Corp. and its subsidiary.

PG&E “Now expects that the U.S. Attorney will charge that PG&E’s past operating practices violated the federal Pipeline Safety Act in areas such as record keeping, pipeline integrity management and identification of pipeline threats,” it said in a statement. The Company expects the legal proceedings to be lengthy.

PG&E stated it thinks any criminal charges would not be merited and, as its employees did not intentionally violate federal pipeline safety laws.

In a prepared statement, PG&E Chairman and CEO Tony Earley, who was brought in to lead PG&E in 2011 after the San Bruno accident, said the company has tried “to do the right thing for victims.”

“San Bruno was a tragic accident that caused a great deal of pain for many people,” he said in the statement. “We’re accountable for that and make no excuses.”

Early said the utility “learned the tragic lesson of San Bruno that safety must always come first.”

“Toward this end, we’ve implemented enormous change here at PG&E,” he said. “We’re working to transform this 100-plus-year-old natural gas system into the safest and most reliable in America.”

PG&E said, “Even where mistakes were made, employees were acting in good faith to provide customers with safe, reliable, affordable, clean energy.”

Last year, PG&E announced it would pay out $565 million in legal settlements and other claims stemming from the 2010 natural gas explosion that killed eight people and devastated a neighborhood. The company has taken actions including the commitment of $2.7 billion of shareholder money to fund safety-related work and the replacement of 127 miles of pipeline.

This article will be updated as the story develops.
/>

Source: Forbes Business

 
Update
10

6 weeks ago

RM47mil KWSG contributions still unclaimed

Jun 9 2014 7:54am CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

Cambodia's Famous Battambang Circus
KUALA LUMPUR: About RM47 million of contributions in the Teachers Provident Fund (KWSG) still remain unclaimed, the D ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
9

6 weeks ago

Gold shop lost almost RM1mil

Jun 9 2014 3:50am CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

Collingwood Magpies Training Session
KANGAR: A gold shop owner lost almost RM1 million after after the safe on in his shop was br ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
8

6 weeks ago

Motion to debate MAS losses in Dewan Rakyat rejected

Jun 9 2014 3:39am CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

Federal Aviation Administration Bans All US Flights To Israel
KUALA LUMPUR: AN emergency motion to debate the losses incurred by Malaysia Airlines last year, amounting to RM1.2 billion was rejected by the Dewan Rakyat t ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
7

6 weeks ago

MH370 Tragedy: Hisham: RM27.6 mil spent on 1st phase of SAR

Jun 9 2014 2:11am CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia spent some RM27.6 million in its first phase of the search operations for missing Malaysia Airline flight MH370, said Acting Transport Minister, D ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
6

6 weeks ago

9.1m litres of diesel seized in a month

Jun 8 2014 1:11am CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

INDIA-CHINA-DIPLOMACY-TRADE
PUTRAJAYA: The Domestic Trade, Cooperatives, and Consumerism ministry has seized some 9.1 million litres of diesel and property worth RM58 million since mounting ‘Operasi Diesel Selatan’ in the southern states last month. ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
5

6 weeks ago

Girl, 9, awarded RM2.78m compensation for medical negligence

Jun 6 2014 4:56am CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

Government Weekly Cabinet Meeting
KUALA LUMPUR: A nine-year-old girl who suffered brain damage during her birth at a government hospital was awarded over RM2. ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
4

6 weeks ago

Malaysia's total trade in April up 12pc

Jun 5 2014 11:52pm CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia's total trade in April 2014 rose by 12 per cent from a year ago to RM123.86 billion due to growing trading activities, International Trade and Industry Minister Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed sa ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
3

6 weeks ago

Works Ministry to spend RM20m for upgrading works at 50 accident black spots

Jun 4 2014 11:35pm CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

Iskandar Johor Open - Previews
JOHOR BARU: The Works Ministry will implement upgrading works at 50 accident prone locations in the country that have been identified this year involving an allocation of ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
2

6 weeks ago

Najib launches loan scheme for Ramadan traders

Jun 4 2014 10:24pm CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

EurAsia Cup presented by DRB-HICOM - Day One
PUTRAJAYA: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak today launches RM45 million Ramadan Bazaar Scheme 201 ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 
Update
1

7 weeks ago

Residents bring up objection against Kidex to Suhakam

Jun 4 2014 4:49am CDT | Source: Business Times Malaysia

PETALING JAYA: A group of 20 Petaling Jaya residents held a meeting with the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam) over their objection against the proposed RM2.2 billion Kinr ...
Source: Business Times Malaysia   Full article at: Business Times Malaysia
 

 

Don't miss ...

 

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/30" rel="author">Forbes</a>
Forbes is among the most trusted resources for the world's business and investment leaders, providing them the uncompromising commentary, concise analysis, relevant tools and real-time reporting they need to succeed at work, profit from investing and have fun with the rewards of winning.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

47 killed in Taiwan as plane makes botched landing (Roundup)
Taipei, July 23 (IANS) Forty-seven people on board a Taiwanese TransAsia Airways plane were killed in a failed emergency landing in the island county of Penghu Wednesday, Taiwan's transportation authority has confirmed.
 
 
47 killed in Taiwan plane's botched landing
Taipei, July 23 (IANS) Forty-seven people on board a Taiwanese TransAsia Airways plane were killed in a failed emergency landing in the island county of Penghu Wednesday, Taiwan's transportation authority has confirmed.
 
 
51 killed in Taiwan plane emergency landing
Beijing, July 23 (IANS) At least 51 people were killed and seven others injured when a passenger plane with Taiwan's TransAsia Airways made an emergency landing on the outlying island county of Penghu Wednesday, media reported.
 
 
High salt ups heart disease risk in diabetics
Tokyo, July 23 (IANS) People with Type-2 diabetes have more to add to their list of dietary restrictions as researchers have found that a high salt diet may double their risk of developing cardiovascular disease.
 
 
 

Latest from the Network

Commonwealth Games declared open after colourful but touching ceremony
Glasgow, July 24 (IANS) The 2014 Commonwealth Games got off to a colourful start with some enthralling performances by singers Rod Stewart, Susan Boyle and violinist Nicola Benedetti at the Celtic Park and a minute's...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
UN to probe human rights violations by Israel
Geneva, July 24 (IANS) A special session of the United Nations Human Rights Council (HRC) adopted a resolution Wednesday to launch an inquiry into human rights violations from Israel's latest military offensive in the...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Toll in Gaza mounts to 701
Gaza, July 24 (IANS) The Palestinian health ministry said early Thursday that six Palestinians have been killed by Israeli airstrikes in the southern Gaza Strip town of Khan Younis. The death toll of the Israeli...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Late Amy Winehouse still speaks to her dad
London, July 24 (IANS) It may sound bizarre but singer Amy Winehouse's father, Mitch, claims that he still talks to his daughter, who died from accidental alcohol poisoning in July 2011. Mitch has admitted he can...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
39 killed in Nigeria bomb blasts
Abuja, July 24 (IANS) At least 39 people were killed in twin bomb blasts in Nigeria's northern city of Kaduna Wednesday, security sources and eyewitness said. In the first blast, 25 people were killed while the second...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Alyssa Milano knew she was expecting a baby girl
Alyssa Milano knew she was expecting a girl. The former 'Charmed' star had a feeling she was carrying a baby daughter, even before it had been confirmed by a doctor, because she suffered with morning sickness, which she...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Nicola Roberts splits from boyfriend
Nicola Roberts has split from her boyfriend. The former Girls Aloud singer reportedly called time on her six-year relationship with businessman Charlie Fennell late last year after their romance fizzled out. A source...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Eva Mendes' pregnancy was 'unplanned'
Eva Mendes' pregnancy was reportedly ''unplanned''. The 40-year-old actress is expecting her first child with boyfriend Ryan Gosling, 33, but the baby news allegedly came as a complete shock to the couple. A source...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Naya Rivera adopts husband's surname on Twitter
Naya Rivera has adopted her husband's surname on her social media accounts. The 'Glee' star only tied the knot with Ryan Dorsey last weekend, but she couldn't wait to flaunt her new marriage as she has already changed...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Zoe Saldana pregnant?
Los Angeles, July 24 (IANS) "Avatar" fame actress Zoe Saldana is reportedly expecting her first child. The 36-year-old is set to become a mother for the first time with her Italian artist husband Marco Perego, reports...
Read more on Celebrity Balla