360° Coverage : Samsung adding anti-theft solutions to smartphones

2 Updates

Samsung adding anti-theft solutions to smartphones

Apr 5 2014, 9:50am CDT | by

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Samsung Electronics will add two safeguards to its latest smartphone in an effort to deter rampant theft of the mobile devices nationwide, the company said Friday...

Filed under: news

 
 
 

25 weeks ago

Samsung adding anti-theft solutions to smartphones

Apr 5 2014, 9:50am CDT | by

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Samsung Electronics will add two safeguards to its latest smartphone in an effort to deter rampant theft of the mobile devices nationwide, the company said Friday.

The world's largest mobile-phone maker said users will be able to activate for free its "Find My Mobile" and "Reactivation Lock" anti-theft features to protect the soon-to-be-released Galaxy 5 S.

The features that will lock the phone if there's an unauthorized attempt to reset it will be on models sold by wireless carriers Verizon and U.S. Cellular. The phones go on sale next week.

"Samsung takes the issue of smartphone theft very seriously, and we are continuing to enhance our security and anti-theft solutions," the company said in a statement.

The announcement comes as San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and other U.S. law enforcement officials demand that manufacturers create kill switches to combat surging smartphone theft across the country.

Earlier this week, California legislators introduced a bill that, if passed, would require mobile devices sold in or shipped in the state be equipped with the anti-theft devices starting next year — a move that could be the first of its kind in the United States. Similar legislation is being considered in New York, Illinois, Minnesota, and bills have been introduced in both houses of Congress.

In July, Samsung officials told Gascon's office that the major carriers were resisting using kill switches. However, Gascon and Schneiderman said in a joint statement Friday that Samsung's latest move sends a strong message that the wireless industry can work together to make consumers safe. The prosecutors have given the manufacturers a June deadline to find solutions to curb smartphone theft.

"More work needs to be done to ensure that these solutions come standard on every device, but these companies have done the right thing by responding to our call for action," the prosecutors said. "No family should lose a mother, a father, a son or a daughter for their phone. Manufacturers and carriers need to put public safety before corporate profits and stop this violent epidemic, which has put millions of smartphone users at risk."

Apple created a similar "activation lock" feature for the popular iPhone last year.

Almost one in three U.S. robberies involve phone theft, according to the Federal Communications Commission. Lost and stolen mobile devices — mostly smartphones — cost consumers more than $30 billion in 2012, the agency said in a study.

CTIA-The Wireless Association, a trade group for wireless providers, has said a permanent kill switch has serious risks, including potential vulnerability to hackers who could disable mobile devices and lock out not only individuals' phones but also phones used by entities such as the Department of Defense, Homeland Security and law enforcement.

The association created a national stolen phone database last year to remove any market for stolen smartphones.

___

Follow Terry Collins at: https://twitter.com/aptcollins

 
Update
2

4 weeks ago

Khazanah throws MAS RM6b lifeline

Aug 29 2014 5:01pm CDT | Source: Business Times Singapore

August 30, 2014 1:15 AMKHAZANAH Nasional will inject RM6 billion (SS$2.4 billion) over three years to resuscitate loss-making Malaysia Airlines (MAS) under a recovery plan that includes even an Act of Parliament. Other key moves are migrating its operations, assets and liabilities to a new company (NewCo) and slashing the workforce of 20,000 by 30 per ...
Source: Business Times Singapore   Full article at: Business Times Singapore
 

 
Update
1

4 weeks ago

MAS posts loss of RM307m for Q2

Aug 28 2014 5:00pm CDT | Source: Business Times Singapore

August 29, 2014 1:13 AMMALAYSIA Airlines (MAS) registered a loss of RM307 million (S$122 million) for the second quarter to end-June, but warned of worse to come in the second half when the "full financial impact of the double tragedies ...
Source: Business Times Singapore   Full article at: Business Times Singapore
 

 

Don't miss ...

 

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/31" rel="author">Associated Press</a>
The Associated Press (AP) is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering, supplying a steady stream of news to its members, international subscribers and commercial customers.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Russell Crowe drives his real-life gladiators to brink of glory
Canberra, Oct 1 (IANS) Russell Crowe is one of Hollywood's biggest stars but his role this weekend as owner of Australian rugby league team South Sydney might be the most nerve-wracking of his career.
 
 
42 confirmed, suspected Ebola deaths in Congo
Kinshasa, Oct 1 (IANS) A total 42 people have died in confirmed or suspected Ebola infection cases in Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Minister of Public Health Felix Kabange said Wednesday.
 
 
Australia to readjust budget to counter terrorism
Sydney, Oct 1 (IANS/EFE) The Australian government confirmed Wednesday that there will be budget cuts to finance new anti-terrorism measures.
 
 
New material promises 'perfect' solar absorption
New York, Oct 1 (IANS) Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) have developed a material that comes very close to being "ideal" for solar absorption.
 
 
 

Latest from the Network

Pick the perfect coat for autumn-winter 2014
London, Oct 1 (IANS) Cold weather is descending upon us and it's time to pick the best piece from various options available in the market. From military inspired styles to aviator ones, one can try many trends, but the...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Russell Crowe drives his real-life gladiators to brink of glory
Canberra, Oct 1 (IANS) Russell Crowe is one of Hollywood's biggest stars but his role this weekend as owner of Australian rugby league team South Sydney might be the most nerve-wracking of his career. The South Sydney...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Annu Rani clinches women's javelin throw bronze
Incheon, Oct 1 (IANS) India's Annu Rani surprised the field by clinching the bronze in women's javelin throw final at the 17th Asian Games here Wednesday. China's Zhang Li took the gold, setting a new Games Record...
Read more on Sport Balla
 
Germany increases aid for Syrian, Iraqi refugees
Berlin, Oct 1 (IANS) Germany has added 10 million euros (about $12.6 million) to its humanitarian aid for refugees in Syria, Iraq and their neighbouring countries in the region, the foreign ministry announced...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Alec Baldwin and Kevin Spacey to star in Boss Baby
Alec Baldwin and Kevin Spacey will star in 'Boss Baby'. The 'American Beauty' actor and Baldwin, 56, will lend their voices to the latest DreamWorks animation which will be helmed by 'Madagascar' co-director Tom McGrath...
Read more on Movie Balla
 
Twilight franchise to return with short films
The 'Twilight' franchise is to return in the form of five short films that will be broadcast exclusively on Facebook. It's been revealed five female directors will be selected to make their own short film based on the...
Read more on Movie Balla
 
First trailer for Tak3n is released
The first trailer has been released for the eagerly-awaited third film in the 'Taken' franchise. The new teaser to the movie - which has seen its title updated to 'Tak3n' - stars Hollywood legends Liam Neeson, 62, and...
Read more on Movie Balla
 
Warwick Davis: James Bond is outdated
Warwick Davis wants to be the next James Bond because he thinks the movies are ''outdated''. The 44-year-old actor - who is three-and-a-half feet tall - would love to do away with the stereotypes associated with the...
Read more on Movie Balla
 
X-Men: Apocalypse will conclude First Class storylines
'X-Men: Apocalypse' will be the last part of a trilogy that began with 'First Class', according to writer-producer Simon Kinberg. The 41-year-old explained that the third installment in the series will conclude the...
Read more on Movie Balla
 
Jason Sudeikis named among all-star voice cast for 'Angry Birds'
Jason Sudeikis, Josh Gad and Danny McBride have all been named in the all-star voice cast for 'Angry Birds'. The much-anticipated feature film of the popular game series will also include the likes of Bill Hader, who...
Read more on Movie Balla