360° Coverage : Wireless industry makes anti-theft commitment

2 Updates

Wireless industry makes anti-theft commitment

Apr 15 2014, 9:00pm CDT | by

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A trade group for wireless providers said Tuesday that that nation's biggest mobile device manufacturers and carriers will soon put anti-theft tools on the gadgets...

Filed under: news

 
 
 

22 weeks ago

Wireless industry makes anti-theft commitment

Apr 15 2014, 9:00pm CDT | by

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A trade group for wireless providers said Tuesday that that nation's biggest mobile device manufacturers and carriers will soon put anti-theft tools on the gadgets to try to deter rampant smartphone theft.

CTIA-The Wireless Association announced that under a "Smartphone Anti-Theft Voluntary Commitment," the companies including Apple Inc., Samsung Electronics Co., Verizon Wireless, AT&T Inc., U.S. Cellular Corp., Sprint Corp. and T-Mobile US Inc. have agreed to provide a free preloaded or downloadable anti-theft tool on smartphones sold in the U.S. after July 2015.

Owners' options will include remotely removing a smartphone's data and preventing reactivation if a phone is stolen or lost, the association said.

It appears the wireless industry has somewhat reversed course as law enforcement and elected officials in the U.S. demand that manufacturers implement a "kill switch" to combat surging smartphone theft across the country. Industry officials have previously said putting a permanent kill switch on phones has serious risks, including the potential that hackers could activate it.

"We appreciate the commitment made by these companies to protect wireless users in the event their smartphones are lost or stolen," CTIA CEO Steve Largent said in a written statement. "This flexibility provides consumers with access to the best features and apps that fit their unique needs while protecting their smartphones and the valuable information they contain. At the same time, it's important different technologies are available so that a 'trap door' isn't created that could be exploited by hackers and criminals."

The wireless industry's announcement comes nearly two weeks after Samsung announced that it added two anti-theft features, "Find My Mobile" and "Reactivation Lock" to its recently released Galaxy S5 smartphone.

Apple created a similar "Activation Lock" feature for the popular iPhone last year and has offered a free tool called "Find My iPhone."

Almost one in three robberies in the U.S. involve phone theft, according to the Federal Communications Commission. Lost and stolen mobile devices — mostly smartphones — cost consumers more than $30 billion in 2012, the agency said in a study.

Earlier this month, California legislators introduced a bill that, if passed, would require mobile devices sold in or shipped to the state be equipped with the anti-theft devices starting next year — a move that could be the first of its kind in the United States. Similar legislation is being considered in New York, Illinois and Minnesota, and bills have been introduced in both houses of Congress.

San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon and New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who have given the manufacturers a June deadline to find solutions to curb smartphone theft, said in a joint statement Tuesday that while CTIA's plan is "a welcomed step," it still falls short of effectively ending smartphone theft because the measures will rely on consumers to seek out and turn on the technology.

Gascon added, "This approach is a losing strategy, and that's why this commitment falls short of what American wireless consumers need to effectively end the epidemic of smartphone theft."

But Jeff Kagan, a longtime tech analyst in Atlanta, said Tuesday that the wireless industry's commitment may be the closest to solving the smartphone theft problem. He believes the industry's commitment occurred because they saw that government is in the process of making sweeping changes.

"I'm sure there will be a lot of back and forth, but this is the next natural step," Kagan said. "I don't think the wireless industry would've done this if there wasn't pressure from lawmakers and the public to come up with some solutions. Sometimes it takes a nudge."

 
Update
2

3 weeks ago

Khazanah throws MAS RM6b lifeline

Aug 29 2014 5:01pm CDT | Source: Business Times Singapore

August 30, 2014 1:15 AMKHAZANAH Nasional will inject RM6 billion (SS$2.4 billion) over three years to resuscitate loss-making Malaysia Airlines (MAS) under a recovery plan that includes even an Act of Parliament. Other key moves are migrating its operations, assets and liabilities to a new company (NewCo) and slashing the workforce of 20,000 by 30 pe ...
Source: Business Times Singapore   Full article at: Business Times Singapore
 

 
Update
1

3 weeks ago

MAS posts loss of RM307m for Q2

Aug 28 2014 5:00pm CDT | Source: Business Times Singapore

August 29, 2014 1:13 AMMALAYSIA Airlines (MAS) registered a loss of RM307 million (S$122 million) for the second quarter to end-June, but warned of worse to come in the second half when the "full financial impact of t ...
Source: Business Times Singapore   Full article at: Business Times Singapore
 

 

Don't miss ...

 

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/31" rel="author">Associated Press</a>
The Associated Press (AP) is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering, supplying a steady stream of news to its members, international subscribers and commercial customers.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Israel approves rebuilding plan for communities near Gaza
Jerusalem, Sep 21 (IANS) The Israeli cabinet Sunday approved a $360 million development initiative for the communities in the country's south, near the Gaza border, who were hit hard in the recent bloody conflict between Israel and the Hamas.
 
 
High-level Indian ministerial visits to London next month
London, Sep 21 (IANS/RAY) India's Finance and Defence Minister Arun Jaitley is scheduled to visit London Oct 13-14 for an interface with financial institutions to persuade them to invest in India.
 
 
Expressway to link Vietnam and China opens
Hanoi, Sep 21 (IANS) Vietnam's longest expressway connecting Noi Bai in capital Hanoi and the north-western Lao Cai province, bordering China, with a total length of 245 km, officially opened to traffic Sunday.
 
 
G20 deal on sharing bank data to help India battle black money
Cairns (Australia) Sep 21 (IANS) In a major step that will aid India track and recover black money stashed abroad, G20 finance ministers Sunday agreed on allowing automatic sharing of all bank information with tax authorities at the end of each year, starting 2017.
 
 
 

Latest from the Network

Miley flaunts chicken and waffles print bikini
Los Angeles, Sep 22 (IANS) It seems Miley Cyrus' latest style is inspired by food. The singer, who took a break from her Bangerz Tour, was spotted lounging in a chicken and waffles print bikini. The 21-year-old, who...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Israel steps up cyber defence with new body
Jerusalem, Sep 22 (IANS) Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Sunday announced the establishment of a new organisation that would spearhead the country's cyber defence operations. The decision was made pursuant...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Wife of British hostage asks IS to free him
London, Sep 22 (IANS/EFE) The wife of a British taxi driver kidnapped by the Islamic State (IS) Sunni extremist group last December Sunday asked the jihadis to show compassion and set him free. Barbara, the wife of...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Clashes with IS continues across Iraq
Baghdad, Sep 22 (IANS) Fierce clashes continued between the Iraqi security forces and the Islamic State (IS) Sunni extremist group across the crisis-torn country Sunday, security sources said. In western Anbar...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Tessa James diagnosed with cancer
Tessa James has been diagnosed with cancer. The former 'Home and Away' star, 23, is battling Hodgkin's lymphoma and has returned to the Gold Coast in Australia to be with her husband Nate Myles. A statement released...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Five Boko Haram terrorists surrender in Nigeria
Abuja, Sep 22 (IANS) Authorities in Nigeria Sunday confirmed that some Boko Haram terrorists have begun to surrender voluntarily following relentless onslaught by troops. At least five terrorists surrendered Saturday...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Jemima, Russell Brand part ways
London, Sep 22 (IANS) All good things must end. The much-talked about affair between Jemima Khan and comedian Russell Brand, described as "tiger ride", has reportedly come to end too. With her impressive social...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Officials penalised for terrorist attack in China's Xinjiang
Beijing, Sep 22 (IANS) As many as 17 public officials, including police officers, were given penalities Sunday after they were held accountable for the terrorist attack in China's Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region in...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Russell Brand gives Zayn Malik family planning advice
Russell Brand gave Zayn Malik family planning advice. The One Direction hunk - who is engaged to Perrie Edwards - admits he was stunned when the 39-year-old comedian offered up some birth control tips when he bumped...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Nicolas Cage buys haunted house for horror novel
Nicolas Cage once bought a haunted house. The 50-year-old actor snapped up a mansion in New Orleans previously owned by Madame LaLaurie, who's known for the torture and murder of slaves, in the hope of gaining...
Read more on Celebrity Balla