Closing arguments set in Apple-Samsung trial

Apr 28 2014, 2:12am CDT | by

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — The high-stakes battle between the world's largest smartphone makers is scheduled to wrap up this week after a monthlong trial that has pulled the curtain back on just how very cutthroat the competition is between Apple and Samsung.

Closing arguments in the patent-infringement case are scheduled to begin Monday, with the two tech giants accusing each other, once again, of ripping off designs and features. At stake: $2 billion if Samsung loses, a few hundred million if Apple loses.

Teams of attorneys on both sides have spent the month trying to poke holes in obscure and bureaucratic patent legal claims, while keeping the eight jurors engaged. Drawing the most attention in the courtroom and the media are insider emails and meeting presentations documenting the frustration each company faced as they competed for market share.

Less than a year after Apple unveiled its iPhone in 2007 combining a web browser, music player and phone in one swipeable device, Samsung officials noted they were quickly losing customers.

"While Traditional OEMs are busy fighting each other in the Feature phone space Apple is busy making the category obsolete," said one confidential briefing presentation. "What makes the iphone unique is software (applications) and services, beautiful hardware is just a bonus"

But Samsung fought back, using Google's Android system, offering less expensive smartphones with larger screens.

"Consumers want what we don't have," said a 2013 Apple presentation a few years later, noting that the low-priced, easy-to-view competition was surging ahead.

Both have studied each other's marketing as well.

In 2009, Samsung designers examined step by step why iPhones were known to be easier to use than Samsung, finding their own offerings weren't friendly and lacked emotion and charm.

When Samsung aired a Super Bowl ad in 2013, Apple marketing head Phil Schiller had praise for the competition.

"It's pretty good and I can't help but think 'these guys are feeling it' (like an athlete who can't miss because they are in a zone) while we struggle to nail a compelling brief on iPhone," he wrote in an email. "That's sad because we have much better products."

Throughout the three years of litigation, Samsung's market share has grown. One of every three smartphones sold last year was a Samsung, now the market leader. Apple, with a typically higher price, was second, with about 15 percent of the global market.

Although it's impossible to predict what a jury will do, two years ago a federal jury found Samsung was infringing on Apple patents. Samsung was ordered to pay about $900 million, but it is has appealed the judgment and has been allowed to continue selling products using the technology.

---

Follow Martha Mendoza on Twitter @mendozamartha

 
 

Don't miss ...

 

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/31" rel="author">Associated Press</a>
The Associated Press (AP) is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering, supplying a steady stream of news to its members, international subscribers and commercial customers.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

UN chief condemns American journalist's killing
United Nations, Aug 21 (IANS) UN Secretary-General Ban Ki- moon Wednesday strongly condemned the killing of American journalist James Foley by extremist Islamist militants, calling it "an abominable crime".
 
 
Russia suspends four McDonald restaurants
Moscow, Aug 21 (IANS) Russia's consumer rights watchdog said Wednesday it has temporarily shut down four McDonald's restaurants here, including the first ever outlet in the country, citing sanitary violations.
 
 
Egypt mufti's adviser slams killing of US journalist
Cairo, Aug 20 (IANS) Ibrahim Negm, advisor to the mufti of Egypt, Wednesday denounced the beheading of US journalist James Foley by the Islamic State (IS) Sunni extremist group in Iraq, state-run MENA news agency reported.
 
 
White House says beheading video authentic
Washington, Aug 20 (IANS/EFE) The Barack Obama administration Wednesday confirmed the authenticity of a video showing the decapitation of a US journalist who was abducted in November 2012 while covering the civil war in Syria.
 
 
 

Latest from the Network

UN chief condemns American journalist's killing
United Nations, Aug 21 (IANS) UN Secretary-General Ban Ki- moon Wednesday strongly condemned the killing of American journalist James Foley by extremist Islamist militants, calling it "an abominable crime". "The...
Read more on Ad Balla
 
Humanitarian convoy to Ukraine ready to advance: Russia
Moscow, Aug 21 (IANS) A day after Ukraine agreed to ensure safe passage for the humanitarian aid convoy in areas controlled by government forces, a senior diplomat Wednesday said the Russian convoy for Ukraine's...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Russia suspends four McDonald restaurants
Moscow, Aug 21 (IANS) Russia's consumer rights watchdog said Wednesday it has temporarily shut down four McDonald's restaurants here, including the first ever outlet in the country, citing sanitary violations. "During...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Rihanna, Drake back together?
New York, Aug 21 (IANS) Singer Rihanna and her on-again, off-again boyfriend Drake were recently spotted flirting at a party here. The duo, who were rumoured to have split in May, spent almost two hours in deep...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Nicki Minaj gives lap dance to Drake in video
New York, Aug 21 (IANS) Rapper Nicki Minaj has spiced up the video of her song "Anaconda" with a lap dance for Canadian rapper Drake. The new clip features Minaj and some more ladies. In the climax, Drake gets a lap...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Zac Efron and Michelle Rodriguez split
Zac Efron and Michelle Rodriguez have split up. The 26-year-old actor and the 36-year-old actress, who were first spotted kissing on holiday in Sardinia, Italy in early July, have reportedly ended their romance after...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Emma Stone to star in 'Cabaret'
Emma Stone will officially make her Broadway debut in 'Cabaret.' The 'Amazing Spider-Man' actress has signed on to take over the lead role of Sally Bowles from Michelle Williams in the New York production and will take...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Dave Grohl and wife welcome third daughter
Dave Grohl's wife has given birth to their third child. The Foo Fighters star and Jordyn Blum, whom he married in 2003, quietly welcomed daughter Ophelia into the world earlier this month. The happy news comes at a...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
London warns of threat from British fighters in Syria, Iraq
London, Aug 20 (IANS/EFE) British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond warned Wednesday of the "threats" posed by a "significant number" of Britons working with jihadis in Syria and Iraq, as he condemned the video of the...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Hungary honours Nobel laureate, Rubik's cube inventor
Budapest, Aug 20 (IANS) Hungarian President Janos Ader presented Nobel laureate author Imre Kertesz and inventor Erno Rubik with the Order of Saint Stephen, Hungary's highest award, Wednesday. The award marks the...
Read more on Celebrity Balla