360° Coverage : USA Swimming Head's Sexual Abuse Apology Shouldn't Put...

2 Updates

USA Swimming Head's Sexual Abuse Apology Shouldn't Put Sports Parents At Ease

Jun 10 2014, 4:56pm CDT | by

Longtime USA Swimming Executive Director Chuck Wielgus  is finally apologizing for the scores of swim coaches found to have sexually abused their young athletes. I can’t officially say the apology...

Filed under: news

 
 
 

18 weeks ago

USA Swimming Head's Sexual Abuse Apology Shouldn't Put Sports Parents At Ease

Jun 10 2014, 4:56pm CDT | by

Longtime USA Swimming Executive Director Chuck Wielgus  is finally apologizing for the scores of swim coaches found to have sexually abused their young athletes. I can’t officially say the apology came because, under pressure from victims, he withdrew his nomination to the International Swimming Hall of Fame. But I can say his apology was issued only four days after that happened. From Wielgus’ USA Swimming blog:

I brought this on myself in April 2010 when I said I had nothing to apologize for on a national television interview. Subsequently, I remained, if not defiant, at least defensive. While USA Swimming developed its groundbreaking Safe Sport Program, I championed the work of our national governing body. I talked about all the good that USA Swimming was doing in the fight to eradicate sexual abuse. But, I never apologized.

As time progressed, I became afraid that my sincerity would be questioned and anything I said or wrote would be judged as just an attempt to put public relations ahead of true remorse. So I remained silent.

While Safe Sport has evolved the past four years, I told myself that the good work we were doing was far better than any apology I could offer. I stood true to the small plaque that has been on my desk for my entire career, “Speak little, do much” and I took solace in this mantra. …

Now, when I look back and see how far we’ve come as an organization, I also recognize how far I have come.  Before 2010, I knew so little about the issues of sexual abuse in our society. Today, I have a first-hand understanding for just how widespread and devastating the problem is.

The statistics (by the age of 18, 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused) were previously just numbers. As I listened to personal stories the statistics began to hit home to me. These weren’t just facts, there were real people. Sadly, I now understand how under-reported sexual abuse is and I think of those who continue to suffer.

These experiences have all helped me to grow, and to know that I would never want my daughters, or anyone for that matter, to ever experience the horrors and nightmares that must come during and in the aftermath of a sexually abusive situation.And so today, four long years later, I can truthfully say how sorry I am to the victims of sexual abuse.

It’s stunning to me that anyone working in any organization that had anything to do with youth could, in 2010, be that clueless about the risk and occurrence of child sexual abuse by an authority figure, especially because even before that time I was already getting well-organized, officially sanctioned Catholic Church training about that very subject. (Pope Francis I had his own “I’m sorry” moment a few months ago regarding his organization’s own, well-known sexual abuse issues.) While indeed USA Swimming has taken steps to ban coaches suspected of abuse, and make sure it doesn’t happen, the “I-wasn’t-sure-anyone-wanted-to-here-from-me” tone of Wielgus’ apology still rings hollow.

Certainly, it did to those representing abuse victims. From The Associated Press:

Robert Allard and Jon Little, attorneys for 15 victims who signed a petition opposing Wielgus’ selection to the Florida-based Hall of Fame, said the apology was nothing more than an attempt to stifle criticism rather than taking a real stand on the issue.

“Too little, too late and forced,” Allard and Little said in a statement. “Another example of this organization under Mr. Wielgus’ leadership being reactive and not proactive. Leaders who are not innovative, creative and caring thinkers and callously react only when forced into action are not true leaders but mere politicians.”

While Wielgus stands by the organization’s Safe Sport Program, which was instituted after the sexual abuse cases came to light, he has continued to face criticism from Allard, Little and others who say he should step down if the USA Swimming is going to make real progress. In January, an independent report commissioned by the governing body recommended 39 changes to better protect underage athletes from predatory coaches.

Even if Wielgus, executive director of USA Swimming since 1997, had issued the most sincere apology the world had ever seen, I would still advise parents to watch coaches closely. There are too many cases of sexual abuse of children by coaches still happening, even if leagues and organizations are more aware and better-equipped to react to it. Also, there are too many cases where sexual abuse inflicted by teammates to other teammates in the name of hazing not only happen, but appear to be condoned or dealt with ineffectively.

As a parent, you need to know that the team, school and/or organization to whom you’re trusting your child not only does background checks, but also has policies in place to ensure that the risk of sexual abuse is minimized. For example, that at least two adults are with children at all times, or at the least, that an adult is never alone with a child. You also want to know that the team, school and/or organization will react quickly and surely in cases when abuse happens. Fortunately, most coaches and leaders aren’t abusers — but those who are can wreak incredible damage.

Even if it might not be enough, and that it might not have happened for all the right reasons, it’s good that the likes of Chuck Wielgus are opening their eyes to the risk of sexual abuse. But no matter what, parents have to keep their own eyes open, too.

 
Update
2

7 weeks ago

Khazanah throws MAS RM6b lifeline

Aug 29 2014 5:01pm CDT | Source: Business Times Singapore

August 30, 2014 1:15 AMKHAZANAH Nasional will inject RM6 billion (SS$2.4 billion) over three years to resuscitate loss-making Malaysia Airlines (MAS) under a recovery plan that includes even an Act of Parliament. Other key moves are migrating its operations, assets and liabilities to a new company ...
Source: Business Times Singapore   Full article at: Business Times Singapore
 

 
Update
1

7 weeks ago

MAS posts loss of RM307m for Q2

Aug 28 2014 5:00pm CDT | Source: Business Times Singapore

August 29, 2014 1:13 AMMALAYSIA Airlines (MAS) registered a loss of RM307 million (S$122 million) for the second quarter to end-June, but warned of worse to come in the second half when the "full financial impact of the double tragedies of M ...
Source: Business Times Singapore   Full article at: Business Times Singapore
 

 

Don't miss ...

 

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/30" rel="author">Forbes</a>
Forbes is among the most trusted resources for the world's business and investment leaders, providing them the uncompromising commentary, concise analysis, relevant tools and real-time reporting they need to succeed at work, profit from investing and have fun with the rewards of winning.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

US defence department to create medical team for Ebola
Washington, Oct 20 (IANS) The US Department of Defense said Sunday the military is creating a 30-member team which will be tasked with providing emergency assistance in case of Ebola virus infection in the country.
 
 
Israel's Tamar gas field to sell gas to Egypt
Jerusalem, Oct 20 (IANS) Israel's Tamar gas field announced Sunday they have signed a bid to sell at least five billion cubic meters of natural gas over three years to private consumers in Egypt.
 
 
Liberian president calls for global support to fight Ebola
Monrovia, Oct 20 (IANS) Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Sunday called on the international communities to join the country to fight the Ebola virus disease.
 
 
Spanish nurse tests negative for Ebola virus
London, Oct 20 (IANS) The Spanish nurse who became the first person to contract Ebola outside West Africa has tested negative for the virus, the government said.
 
 
 

Latest from the Network

Bush shoe-tossing painting hits record at Doha auction
Doha, Oct 15 (IANS/EFE) A controversial painting by Iranian artist Mahmud Obaidi, depicting an Iraqi journalist throwing shoe in 2008 at then US president George W. Bush, was sold for $62,500 at a Sotheby's auction in...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
US offers $45 mn bounty for eight terror leaders
Washington, Oct 15 (IANS) The US said Tuesday it is offering rewards totalling up to 45 million dollars for information on eight key leaders of the Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) terrorist organisation. The...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
UNSC extends peacekeeping mission's term in Abyei
United Nations, Oct 15 (IANS) The UN Security Council (UNSC) has renewed the mandate of the UN peacekeeping mission in the Abyei border region between Sudan and South Sudan. In an unanimously adopted resolution, the...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Ebola cases in West Africa could reach 10,000 per week: WHO
Geneva, Oct 15 (IANS) The World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned that the Ebola epidemic in West Africa could reach 5,000 to 10,000 cases per week by the first week of December. "Quite frankly, ladies and...
Read more on Business Balla
 
Turkey, Singapore sign strategic partnership agreement
Ankara, Oct 15 (IANS) Turkey and Singapore have signed a strategic partnership agreement to boost economic, political and cultural cooperation, as well as security collaboration, during the official visit of...
Read more on Politics Balla
 
Christina Aguilera is returning to 'The Voice' USA
Christina Aguilera will return to 'The Voice' USA next year. The 'Your Body' hitmaker, who previously shared a rotating spot on the judging panel with Shakira, has been replaced by Gwen Stefani this season as she is...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Kesha's music producer hits back
Kesha is being countersued by her record company boss, Dr. Luke. The 41-year-old music producer, who runs Kemosabe Records, claims the 27-year-old 'Tik Tok' singer is a liar and is trying to extort him after she accused...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Jason Derulo won't get back together with Jordin Sparks
Jason Derulo insists his split from Jordin Sparks is permanent. The 'Talk Dirty' hitmaker, who recently ended his relationship with the 'No Air' singer after three years of dating, has ruled out getting back together...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Josh Groban feels 'very lucky' to be dating Kat Dennings
Josh Groban feels ''very lucky'' to be dating Kat Dennings. The 'Brave' hitmaker was very nervous before singing in front of the '2 Broke Girls' actress for the first time at the Carousel of Hope Ball in Beverly Hills,...
Read more on Celebrity Balla
 
Australian Richard Flanagan wins 2014 Man Booker prize
London, Oct 15 (IANS) The first Man Booker prize to allow American nominees was Tuesday night won by an Australian, with Richard Flanagan triumphing for a novel of love and war that tells the harrowing stories of...
Read more on Celebrity Balla